Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the national metrology institute of the
Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress
and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
The Technische Universität Braunschweig (Technical University of Braunschweig) (TU BS),
with its nearly 18,500 students and 3,700 members of staff, is the largest technical university
of northern Germany. It stands for strategical and performance-oriented research, committed
teaching, and successful knowledge and technology transfer to industry and society.
Within the scope of a joint selection procedure, PTB and TU Braunschweig are looking for a
candidate to fill the following position at the earliest possible date for a term initially limited to
three years (with a further three year extension pending successful evaluation):
Group Leader of a scientific working group in the Biochemistry
Remuneration Group 14 TVöD Bund ○ full-time ○ fixed-term contract
Provided all legal prerequisites are satisfied, the candidate will be simultaneously appointed
to the Junior Professorship for “Standardization of Biomolecular Measurements” at the
Technical University of Braunschweig (without tenure track). This joint appointment will be
made pursuant to Section 30 of the Lower Saxony Higher Education Act (NHG) applying the
so-called Thuringian Model. The junior professorship will be awarded initially for a period of
three years and extended for another three years pending a positive interim performance
evaluation. The newly established junior professorship is intended to strengthen the existing
research focus on “Metrology in Biochemistry” at PTB and to help expand activities in the
fields of biochemistry and biomedicine in close cooperation with the University of
Braunschweig and its partner institutions at the Braunschweig site. The new department will
furthermore seek to intensify cooperation with PTB’s medically oriented working groups in
The holder of the newly established group leader position (junior professorship) will be
expected to apply artificial intelligence and machine learning methods to standardize high-
dimensional metabolomics and proteomics measurement data. For this purpose, multiple
reference measurements will ideally be used in order to be able to quantitatively detect as
many biomarkers as possible. This research should concentrate on the following three areas:
1. Particular focus should be placed on the automated sample processing and measurement
of analytes identified in the Rilli-BÄK list (guideline of the German Medical Association for the
quality assurance of medical laboratory examinations). These involve various biomedically
relevant metabolites, trace elements and proteins found in human body fluids (plasma, urine,
2. Determination of “beacon metabolites” by applying machine learning approaches. These
beacon metabolites should then be used as reference points for the quantification of a whole
group of suitable metabolites.
3. Investigation of various methods of standardization and how their influence on the
uncertainty of the measurement processes can be optimized.
The aim of the research activity done in collaboration with PTB working groups specializing in
machine learning will be to first establish the metrological fundamentals that can then be
applied in the fields of metabolomics and proteomics in cooperation with the Braunschweig
Integrated Centre of Systems Biology (BRICS). The professorship will further be expected to
interact with the “Standards and Reference Material” working group of the German Society
for Metabolomic Research and thus make the new methods available to other groups.
- You have successfully completed your university studies in biochemistry (Master’s
degree or German Diplom).
- You are able to perform scientific work autonomously, which is proven by your excellent
doctoral thesis in a field relevant to this position.
- You are able to set up an independent scientific research working group and to take
accountability for managing it.
- You have the ability to lead and motivate scientific and technical staff (to be
demonstrated in an assessment center).
- You have published articles in internationally recognized scientific journals.
- You are a strong team player with excellent communication skills.
- You are willing to deliver lectures to academic classes and to supervise employees as
well as students.
- You are able to communicate openly and constructively within the working group and
with external partners.
- You are committed to the planned establishment of a third-party funded research
- You will ideally have gathered experience in international research work.
- You have an excellent command of written and spoken English and a fair command of
written and spoken German.
- A working environment which supports excellent scientific research in many different ways
- Two doctoral candidates who will support your team’s work
- With regard to teaching, the junior professorship will be established in the master’s program of the Faculty of Life Sciences at the TU BS and will have a teaching load of 2 SWS (2 hours per week during each semester).
For further information with regard to this position, please contact:
Prof. Dr. I. Rustenbeck, phone: +49 531 391-5670, e-mail: email@example.com,
Dr. B. Güttler, phone: +49 531 592-3010, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTB and TU BS both promote the professional equality of women and men and are thus
especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB and TU BS offer flexible part-time work
schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of work and family life.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
By applying for this position, you implicitly agree to your documents being accessed by all
members of the selection committee.
Please use our online application form. Alternatively, you can send your application to us at
the following postal address:
Reference number 21-343-3
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
Applications can be submitted from 19 August 2021 until 4 October 2021.
To apply for this job please visit www.ptb.de.