The Max-Delbruck-Center (MDC) Berlin is a leading biomedical research institute dedicated to interdisciplinary research in the areas of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, cancer, function/dysfunction of the nervous system and medical systems biology.
Make a difference!
We believe in selecting people based on their abilities, not on their stereotypes. We will strive to give all capable candidates an opportunity, irrespective of their race, genders, nationality or background. We are happy to discuss flexible work patterns if requested, job sharing or other solutions that enable strong candidates to work better.
Key words: metabolomics, lipidomics, mass spectrometry, biochemistry, bnalytical chemistry, bpplied statistics, pathway mapping, omics data analysis, diabetes, gut microbiome, atherosclerosis.
We are looking for a talented post doc in metabolomics or a related discipline to conduct the metabolomics research.
This is a grant funded position with the aim of transferring metabolomics and other mass spectrometric methods into the clinical laboratory. Your role will be mainly lab based and will centre around using mass spectrometry metabolomics to analyse e.g. cancer samples provided by other members of the consortium.
The project will be based at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (https://www.mdc-berlin.de/metabolomics). You will be responsible for sample and data analysis within our project scope and will be working as part of a much larger consortium to meet the consortium’s general aims. The work requires someone with a broad interest in both biochemistry and medicine and the ability to independently plan projects, write reports and meet deadlines. An ability to work systematically and to required quality assurance standards is important.
Applications for this position may also be considered for alternate similar positions within the group.
• PhD in metabolomics, biochemistry, analytical chemistry or related field. Background in the specific project subject areas advantageous but not essential.
• Demonstrated experience of laboratory based metabolomics or mass spectrometry project work, including ability to complete projects to an excellent standard within reasonable timeframes.
• Demonstrated experience in independent mass spectrometry chemical analysis and biochemical and statistical interpretation (experience in metabolomics analysis is a major advantage, as is experience in liquid and gas chromatography)
• have good written and verbal communication skills in English (German language skills are a plus, but not essential)
• Advantageous if you are highly numerate with a good understanding of both computational and statistical processes, good knowledge of data processing and analysis of mass-spectrometry data (high and low resolution instruments, MS and MSn including fragmentation analysis, liquid and gas chromatography mass spectrometry is a strong plus)
• Advantageous if you have a knowledge of quality assurance and quality control procedures in metabolomics
• Good knowledge of statistical analysis of omics data, experience of functional analyses, particularly in metabolomics, including multivariate analysis and hierarchical clusteringis a major advantage
• Motivated to succeed with a love of learning and a desire to keep challenging yourself
• Ability to learn quickly and to synthesize ideas from different subjects
• Team-orientated with excellent organizational skills including project management and good record keeping is important
• Have the ability to condense and present scientific results to both scientific and non-specialist audiences
The MDC is committed to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. Therefore, we are welcoming applications from all qualified individuals (m/f/d). Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification. The MDC is certified by the “work and family” audit and provides an inclusive and family friendly environment.
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and supports gender equality.
In order to reduce the risk of unconscious bias, please remove any information from your application about AGE, SEX, MARITAL STATUS, PERSONAL PHOTO or INFORMATION ABOUT CHILDREN.
To apply, please send in English language a letter of application, your C.V. and any supporting documents to email@example.com clearly marked with registration number 11210/2020.
To apply for this job email your details to Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org